Winter can be unkind to our skin. The harsh, cold conditions coupled with excessive use of home heaters produces some pretty dry, flaky, uneven skin! Skin purification can be challenging when most products can dry out your skin even further. It goes without saying that sunscreen is your skin’s friend, all year long, even in the winter. But did you know that near infrared sauna therapy can also improve your skin’s appearance?
A study published in the Journal of Cosmetic and Laser Therapy¹ showed significant improvements in skin appearance after just 12 weeks of sauna therapy using near-infrared LED technology. Participants experienced a reduction in wrinkles and crow’s feet, as well as improved overall skin tone, including softness, smoothness, elasticity, clarity and firmness.
Not only did this study show skin health improvement, we also see it in our own building on a regular basis! You may or may not know that Sunlighten has an on-site day spa. Sunlight Day Spa operates on the first floor of our headquarters and is frequented by both our employees and the general Kansas City-area public. It’s a terrific facility, offering massage therapy, microdermabrasion, facials, body treatments, infrared sauna therapy and even a food and wine menu!
Our spa clients often use sauna sessions to complement their massages. But our aestheticians also recommend infrared sauna therapy to facial and skin care clients. Why? Because they know from experience that among other sauna benefits, regular near infrared sauna therapy can help improve your skin’s appearance significantly. Our mPulse saunas have a specific program for skin purification. It doesn’t just feel good; there are medical sauna benefits for skin.
Note that the study cited above relating to sauna benefits for skin involved near infrared wavelengths. Sunlighten’s Solocarbon Full Spectrum heater (the one in our mPulse full spectrum infrared saunas) is the only infrared sauna heater on the market with near infrared technology! Our Sunlight Day Spa clients are lucky to be able to experience full spectrum infrared sauna sessions in an mPulse model sauna.
Looking for some additional tips for taming that winter skin?
- Change your skin care routine to include a heavy moisturizer in order to keep your skin protected. We use in IMAGE skincare at Sunlight Day Spa. Our clients LOVE it!
- Avoid using commercial soaps. Consider using natural handmade soaps because they are rich in oils and gently cleanse the skin without drying it out. (We’ve got a few excellent options…and they smell AMAZING!)
- Choose something heavier than a body lotion for all-over moisturizing. Consider body butters or heavy creams because they will moisturize and rehydrate the skin.
- Don’t set the temperature too high in your house! You might even need a humidifier to put more moisture back into the air and into your skin!
(1) B.A. Russell, N. Kellett & L.R. Reilly. Study to Determine the Efficacy of Combination LED Light Therapy (633nm and 830 nm) in Facial Skin Rejuvenation. Journal of Cosmetic and Laser Therapy, 2005; 7: pp 196-200.