Sauna use can help promote deep relaxation, detoxification, and pain relief, but the way we use our sauna is as important as the benefits we get from it. Proper sauna use is important; just like we warm up and cool down our bodies when we exercise, there are some basic steps to follow to ensure you gain maximum benefits of using a sauna. Whether you need a refresher or are just getting familiar with sauna use, here are some basic sauna protocols to enhance your sauna use.
Sunlighten Sauna Protocol
The Warm Up: Before Your Sauna Session
- Drink a minimum of 8 oz. of water to prepare your body for an increase in core body temperature.
- Prep your sauna: Pre-heat your sauna for 45-60 minutes. Your sauna will heat up approximately one degree per minute, depending on room temperature. You can use automatic start up for the Signature far infrared sauna by setting it in Reservation Mode, or schedule a start time in the mPulse 3-in-1 sauna.
- Lay down towels on the bench to absorb sweat. It’s also nice to have an extra around to wipe your face during sessions. We recommend using Bamboo Carbon Towels
During Your Sauna Session
- Enter your sauna when it reaches 100°F. Keep in mind the temperature will continue to rise as you enjoy the sauna session. The optimal sauna temperature is 100°F to 130°F. Temperatures in this range enable our Solocarbon® heaters to provide the optimal concentration of infrared wavelengths, which are the key factor in bringing you the many health benefits of using a sauna, including detox, pain relief, skin purification, weight loss and stress relief.
- Watch your time: Make sure to adjust your session length in accordance to your body’s needs. If you are just beginning with regular sauna use, it is important to start slow and get your body accustomed to infrared therapy. We recommend beginning with 10-15 minute sessions at 100°F every other day. Gradually increase toward 40 minute daily sessions in the optimal temperature range. Always listen to your body and adjust based on what it’s telling you.
- Stick with it for long-term benefits: Just as with exercise or eating healthy, sauna use takes time and consistency to see results. You may not even sweat the first few times you use your sauna, but know that sweating (and the detox that comes with it) will increase over time, leaving you feeling rejuvenated and healthy. We recommend Pure Sweat amplifying cream, which increases sweating and circulation to boost results.
The Cool Down: After Your Sauna Session
- Rehydrate with at least 24 oz. of water or electrolyte drink. Detoxification expert Dr. Dietrich Klinghardt recommends BioPure Micro Minerals for replenishment.
- Dry off and cool down naturally, or with a refreshing shower.
- Keep it clean: Using Bamboo Carbon Towels on the bench to absorb sweat and excess moisture will help keep your sauna clean during regular use. Clean the wood and glass in your sauna every six months with our Natural Sauna Cleaning Kit.
Do you like transparency? So do we. That’s why we’re telling you up front that this article/site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. The research in this article is our own; we evaluate our affiliates and their products in order to provide recommendations that support you on your wellness journey. </span