We love Dr. Mark Hyman’s approach to wellness. If you’ve read his newsletter or any of his books (The Ultra-Metabolism Cookbook, The Ultra-Mind Solution, The Ultra-Simple Diet, Ultra-Metabolism and Ultra-Prevention), you know that his groundbreaking whole-systems medicine approach known as Functional Medicine is a smart way to look at lessening chronic illness and pain.
One of the modalities that Dr. Hyman supports in anyone’s efforts to better their health is heat therapy – specifically, the use of infrared saunas. And even more specifically, Sunlighten infrared saunas.
Dr. Hyman believes that heat therapy is a significantly underutilized treatment in medicine. As the global population continues to look for more natural, less invasive ways to overcome health problems and lose weight, heat therapy is becoming more and more popular. And Dr. Hyman believes the science bears out the use of heat as a treatment modality for a wide variety of health conditions.
Infrared saunas, in particular present an interesting and powerful opportunity for people to take advantage of the latest advances in heat therapy. These saunas, which can be installed in your home, use infrared light instead of conventional heat to bring up your body temperature. The difference is important because infrared saunas can increase your core body temperature by 2-3 degrees—enough to improve the health results you achieve as compared to conventional saunas. Most infrared saunas on the market produce only far infrared. However, a new development in the field is full-spectrum infrared. These are saunas that provide all the health benefits associated with far-, mid- and near infrared rays.
Five areas in which Dr. Hyman believes infrared saunas can help improve health are:
- weight loss;
- reduction in blood pressure;
- increased cardiac performance and
- enhanced brain function¹
In addition to the benefits above, many find that infrared saunas can help reduce joint pain and improve your skin.
Dr. Hyman recommends regular sauna therapy for many patients:
To take an infrared sauna, use the following guidelines:
• Find a local sauna to use.
• Start slowly, with 5 to 10 minutes per session.
• Build up to 40 minutes with cool-down periods in between.
• Keep well hydrated during the sessions—bring a glass bottle of water into the sauna with you.
• Be sure to take a good multi-mineral while doing the sauna treatments (if you are not doing so already) to replace the minerals lost through sweating.
• Wash thoroughly with soap to remove the toxins from your skin.
• Consider purchasing an infrared sauna for home use. I highly recommend Sunlighten Saunas. They are high-quality, full spectrum infrared saunas and their customer service team specializes in helping you locate the best sauna for your needs.
For more about Dr. Mark Hyman, visit:
- DrHyman.com/store – for Dr. Hyman’s books and DVDs as well as recommended supplements
¹Wong-Riley, M.T., Liang H.L., Eells J.T. et al. 2005. Photobiomodulation directly benefits primary neurons functionally inactivated by toxins: Role of cytochrome c oxidase. J Biol Chem. 280(6):4761-71.