We want to let you in on a secret we don’t want to keep: saunaing is a wonderfully enjoyable habit that has a multitude of health benefits. Our community of Sunlighten sauna owners and users have incorporated regular sauna use as a fundamental part of their wellness rhythm. This “sauna lifestyle” becomes a way of life that helps you feel better, do more of what you love, and live the full active life you desire.
Once you realize the incredible benefits to using a sauna regularly, you’ll see that it isn’t a luxury, it’s an important wellness tool you’ll want to make part of your way of life; just like eating healthy and exercising.
The term “lifestyle” means a way of living that reflects the attitudes and values of a person or group. Our lifestyle affects choices in what we wear, what we own, what we spend our time doing, and how we prioritize our lives.
Living an infrared sauna lifestyle means that feeling good and being healthy is a priority. When you sauna regularly, it reflects an attitude that you take your health seriously, you prioritize taking care of yourself, and that you are committed to investing in a habit that will help you continue to feel good so that you can continue doing what you love as long as you can.
Luxuries are things we want but don’t necessarily need and can do without. Many of our customers and partners feel so good when they sauna regularly that they say they can’t live without their saunas. The health benefits that Sunlighten saunas provide the body and mind make infrared an indispensable wellness tool that also happens in an exceptionally beautiful and enjoyable space.
An infrared sauna is a foundational part of a wellness lifestyle. We know nutrition is important to fuel our bodies properly. We know exercise is important to keep our bodies operating well physically. We know sleep is imperative for our body’s systems to function. We need to know the value of infrared saunas for the health of our bodies.
Infrared sauna therapy helps the body detoxify and increases circulation with such powerful positive effect that cardiologist Dr. Joel Kahn says it would be a multibillion-dollar drug if it were a pill. “The ability to heal endothelium and improve symptoms and prognosis for congestive heart failure and coronary artery disease is remarkable. Sunlighten saunas are the only infrared saunas clinically shown to temporarily lower blood pressure and reduce belly fat, both contributing factors to a healthy heart.”
And, infrared saunaing goes beyond soaking up some heat and detoxing. The health benefits include increased immunity and general wellness, relaxation and mental health, anti-aging and skin rejuvenation, muscle recovery and temporary pain relief, as well as supporting a weight management program.
You can enjoy versus endure your experience. Infrared saunas are not just sweat boxes. Traditional saunas are sweat boxes: they use high heat to increase the temperature of the ambient air to get hot, uncomfortable, and sweat as much as possible, often leaving you feeling drained and exhausted.
Infrared saunas are enjoyable warmth that create a pleasant experience while infrared waves gently warm your body from inside so that you sweat deep and productively from within, without discomfort.
You leave feeling energized and restored. In an infrared sauna, the infrared waves are raising your core body temperature, slightly inducing a state of “hormesis,” or putting our body in an elevated “get well” state. The time you spend there is healing for your body. It allows for a cellular level detox, clearing out environmental toxins and hormone disruptors. This helps you increase immunity, improve sleep quality, decrease depression, aid in heart health and healthy aging. The enjoyable experience of an infrared sauna combined with the wide range of benefits to your mind and body make this a tool you can use 2-3 times a week or every day.
- Believe. The health benefits of saunaing are an essential part of a wellness lifestyle, along with a good night’s rest, a healthy diet and exercise. When you believe in it, you’ll want to do it. Study why infrared is so healthy for the body. Learn the science behind what makes the best infrared. The more you learn about infrared, the more convinced you’ll be.
- Enjoy. Give yourself the gift of guilt-free self-care time. Saunaing is good for your mind, body and spirit. The time you spend in a sauna is time well spent.
- Schedule it. Putting sauna time on your calendar sets an intention and will help you keep your commitment. It’s a little step that goes a long way. Set a reminder on your phone. Or, if you have a Sunlighten mPulse sauna, you can schedule your sessions in advance, including preheating, so it’s just the right temperature when you are ready.
- Be consistent. A rhythm of regular sauna sessions (from 2-3 days a week minimum to a daily routine). Consistency is key. Figure out when you want to do it and are most likely to. There’s no wrong or bad time to sauna – the only “bad” time is never!
- Sweat stack. Add a sauna session after your cardio workout. Following a sweaty workout with a sauna session can increase the release of those heavy metals and hormone disrupting chemicals as well as aid in muscle recovery.
- Habit stack. One good habit leads to another! Add a series of good habits that fuel your desire to follow your wellness practices. Saunaing makes you drink more water. It can be a great pre-workout stretch or post-workout recovery. Set up a session before bed to create a healthy sleep routine. Stacking good habits leads to more good habits.
- Include family. Sauna time can be a great opportunity to catch up with your friends, family or kids. Make sure to follow protocol for children – generally a minute and a half per year of age is a good rule to follow.
- Meditate. Help your body and mind while you sauna. (Another good habit stack.)